Random stuff from the allotment, kitchen and other adventures.

Saturday 5 March 2011

BELLINIS – Cardiff (St Davids 2)

I had no idea where to go for my birthday this year then my friend suggested Bellinis.  I had previously been to the Bellinis restaurant located by the Thistle Hotel in Cardiff for lunch with my daughter.  We had a lovely meal there so I thought it sounded like a good plan. I remember while having our lunch, there was a lunch time meeting going on, in the restaurant with what we assumed were the owners of the business reviewing plans for a new restaurant in Cardiff bay.  That restaurant has since opened and also their latest one in St Davids 2.

On the night when we arrived it was busy and in full swing.  My friend had booked so our table for six was waiting.  We were shown to a table in the centre of the restaurant which had been prepared for us. Last time we ate at a table in this position (Jamie Oliver’s I believe) I felt that the situation was not intimate enough and ruined the atmosphere. We therefore asked to be moved to another available table by the window in the corner. The staff were very accommodating and arranged the move – good start.
 
Once we were seated the sommelier came over with the wine list.  I admit to being no expert when it comes to wine and probably should have asked the sommelier.  Instead I chose a wine about 3rd down the list thinking mid range.  When the wine was opened and I tasted it, the dryness made my eyes water and I took a sharp intake of breath.  The sommelier noticed and asked if the wine was ok.  I told her it was much drier than I expected and she suggested a medium wine.  She returned with another new bottle and offered this for tasting. It suited my palate better so it remained to be consumed.

Next we ordered the food…

To start I had a basic mozzarella and tomato salad which was refreshing.

I followed this with an amazingly delicious plate of medallions of fillet steak with a port wine jous and vegetables.  You can find in some restaurants that the vegetables are a second thought but these were perfectly cooked and seasoned exceptionally as was the tender beef fillet and jous.  I loved it.
To complete the meal I went for the chocolate tart which came with a little pot of cream.  I don’t usually go for chocolate which I know is unusual for a female but in this instance I did fancy something rich and chocolate to finish.  It was a slow dessert as chocolate can not usually be eaten quickly or it makes you feel sick.  I enjoyed it greatly.

I had a nice cup of coffee to complete my meal.

Overall a really enjoyable evening of good food and wine in a friendly atmosphere with attentive staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment