Random stuff from the allotment, kitchen and other adventures.

Sunday 17 April 2011

Lemon and Poppy Seed Cup Cakes


Hungry again and no cakes left in the house.  Everything had been eaten by the ravenous kids.  I decided to knock up a few cup cakes.

I have wanted to try poppy seeds in cake for a while and had bought a packet in the shop this week.  I had to toast a teaspoon or two on a small oven proof plate first.  I then had a look in the fridge to see what I could find.

I found half a jar of lemon curd and thought, yes good combination.

Made the usual base cake mixture as follows:

150g sunflower spread
150g caster sugar

I creamed these together first.

3 eggs

I added these and whisked in until the mixture went smooth and creamy.

100g self raising flour
Couple of drops of vanilla essence
Poppy seeds

I whisked the flour, poppy seeds and vanilla into the mixture then gently swirled the half jar of lemon curd into the mixture then spooned into 12 cup cake cases.

I baked in a preheated oven at 170C for approx. 15 minutes.

Once cooked, I left them to cool.

For the topping I mixed some icing sugar, lemon flavour and yellow food colour to make a soft spoonable icing.  I put about a teaspoon of this on each cup cake.  I tried to sprinkle a little edible gold dust on top of this but it didn’t really work. 

They didn’t look as good as I would like but tasted delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment